- February: 12, 19, 26
- March 4, 11
- March 18 (this is a “snow date”, in the event one of the other sessions are canceled due to weather)
- One Field Day will be scheduled; attendees will select from a list of dates and locations to attend a hands-on session at an apiary.
For those who actually start keeping honeybees in the spring, we offer mentors that can help to answer your questions as you start your ‘adventure’ in keeping these amazing creatures. Typically, honeybees need to be ordered in late February for April/May delivery. We provide information on how to purchase your bees and other beekeeping supplies during the session.
The price of this course is $50 per person, $75 per couple (2 adults or one adult plus one over the age of 14) and $10 for each child under the age of 14 plus the cost of the required textbook. The textbook may be obtained online or from bookstores (see below for more information.)
A sample of the topics covered in the Beginning Beekeeping course includes:
- Getting Started in Beekeeping – What you need
- Apiary Site Locations – Where to place your honeybees
- Zoning Laws for keeping honey bees in Howard County (Info on other counties will be made available upon request)
- How to Start Honey Bee Colonies (ways to obtain honey bees)
- Honey Bee Biology and Behavior
- Swarming and Its Prevention
- MD Recommended Management Practices
- Management of New Colonies
- Products of the Hive
- Feeding Bees
- Registering Your Bees with the State
- Local Nectar and Pollen Plants
- Honey Bee Pests, Diseases and Other Problems (2 part session)
- Review Of Course Material and Questions and Answers
- Everybody Makes Mistakes! One Beekeeper’s first year experiences
- And much more – including demonstrations and ‘hands on’ opportunities
We hope to see you at the Beginning Beekeeping course! To register, please complete this form. Your registration will not be confirmed until payment is received. You can pay via PayPal below, or follow the instructions below to pay by mail.
and submit your payment VIA PAYPAL:
If you prefer, please print the form Click HERE for a printable version and mail your payment to: Howard County Beekeeper’s Association P.O. Box 1416 Ellicott City, MD 21041
Required Textbook information: The required textbook for the course is:
The Beekeeper’s Handbook, 4th edition, by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile.
You can purchase the book at most bookstores, or order directly from online stores such as: